Monday, March 1, 2010

Random Props

My random props are getting thrown out to USA hockey, timely I know. Ryan Miller especially deserves to be showered with glory, praise, money and fame for the bets Olympic performance from a goalie since Hasek and Khabiboulin carried inferior teams to golden glory. USA played with hustle and heart to make up for the lack of talent and experience. Special shout-outs as well going to Brian Rafalski and Ryan Suter. WI boys logging serious minutes in the 3rd period to make it a game for the US. I'm pretty sure both men played all 20 minutes of the 3rd saying fuck this whole line-change thing. Kane, Parise, Kesler, Kessel, Jack Johnson, there are some seriously talented kids for the USA team that bodes well for our future. The polarizing moment of USA hockey for me was Kessler just plain out-hussling some Canuck to poke in a diving empty netter to put the USA up 5-3 the first time we played Canada.

I decided to read Sporting News articles about the Olympics and the USA was put sternly behind Canada, Russia, and Slovakia. Nobody expected anything out of a group of youngsters with little Olympic experience. No offense, but Jamie Langenbrunner was our team captain, not exactly a fearsome man in the world of hockey. I hate to say this, but this was what I needed to get off my hockey malice and start watching in time for the Stanly Cup run. Maybe I'll grow a playoff beard...

I had a friend bring up a point how against fighting he was because the goons just muck up the game and waste time and space. I also enjoyed the extra 15' on the sides to create a little more space for the skilled players. I still go back-and-forth on the fighting. I like retribution and having someone on your team be allowed to beatdown the other guy who just cheap-shotted your ass. It does slow down the game and take away a possibly skilled player off the ice for an "enforcer". Some enforcers can obviously play hockey and aren't just goons who can't use a stick for anything but performing malicious acts. Playoff hockey, I can't wait all the sudden. Olympic hockey was way better because there were a ton less commercials as well. Mike Emerick needs to be at every hockey game televised as well, it's just that simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment