Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Moonlight

The Oscar buzz on this film I didn't get. The movie follows a black closeted homosexual teen in the early 1990's in a "tough" neighborhood. His mom is addicted to crack. The local drug "Kingpin" takes the young child under his wing, allowing him to regularly live with him and his wife (I think?) throughout his youth. He is picked on a lot, but it turns violent in middle school. He does have a best friend from when they were around five, but they don't always stay in touch. The main character is extremely introverted and quiet. His best friend reaches back out to him during high school, re-affirming their friendship. Things get complicated and the movie essentially blows up. You do a little fast forwarding and nobody is where you'd think they are. They try to tie it together, but I wasn't impressed. Bottom line: 6.8 out of 10. I wasn't really impressed by any part of this movie. I feel bad saying that, but I didn't get the hype. Decent acting is about the nicest thing I can say about this film. Watch at your own peril.

No comments:

Post a Comment