Monday, November 14, 2016

Girl on the Train

I was skeptical watching this one since I hadn't read the book and it was in the 50's on Rotten Tomatoes, but I persevered. I'm a big Emily Blunt fan and I knew the book was a huge hit. The premise is a woman rides a train, OBVIOUSLY, but the train goes past her old house where her husband currently lives with his new wife and child. She stares out the window at them, but also their neighbor, a young beautiful woman who was recently married. She begins to feel like she's a part of their lives. She watches them and fabricates stories in her mind. The movie then starts being told from the "other" women's point of view. Her husband's new wife and the hot neighbor. The story boils over when the gorgeous neighbor is murdered and the "train lady" saw her with a mysterious man who wasn't her husband that day. Further complicating things is that train lady is a drunk who rides the train only to appear to be employed to appease her "roommate", aka lady letting her live with her. The story unfolds and new details are introduced slowly, but it weaves an interesting web that ties together well. It's very mysterious, so I don't want to talk about the plot much, but it has excellent performances by Blunt, Haley Bennett, Justin Theroux, and Luke Evans. Bottom Line: 7.5 out of 10. I was a bigger fan than I expected. I can imagine if someone read the book they may not enjoy the film since the book would do a much better job of unveiling things and explaining emotions and thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment